30 April 2007

Welsh Plotters and their unsuccessful Plots?


Picture Above: Obviously a fountain, looks quite new, the question is: Where is it? I Know, but I am not going to tell you yet, regard it has a bit of a summer competition, all will be revealed before 30 July, that's a good clue? I will also inform you before then, in what way these fountains might become relevent to one part of the some of subject title regards matters below: Now, read on:

A Matter of Jacobites and Jacobins 1648 - 1848, My new area of interest, ''have done the medieval to death'' and am getting slightly bored with it all. After 40 odd years messing with medievalism, can I be blamed for want to look for some new pastures? I had started to research for a book of which subject and title is/was? to be PLOTS & PLOTTERS IN WELSH HISTORY, from 'Caio to Cayo', beginning with Gruffydd ap Rhys and Gwenllian in the woods of Caio, plotting and planning to win back their lands from the Normans, to the ''Plotters in the Belfry of Bangor'' who betrayed Llywelyn ap Gruffydd to the English. Continuing on of course to the plotters of 16 Medi 1400, who plotted on a grand scale, and nearly pulled it off. For the most part of this book however, I intended to focus on the little known 'Plots and Plotters' in our history from the 1529 desperate intrigues of Rhys ap Gruffydd or perhaps his wife, the Lady Catherine Howard.Stacks of stuff about on they and this, very interesting, especially the story of his Uncle James ''on the run''. I have photos some where of last resting place of Rhys, after his execution at the tower of London. Will look for then and post them when found ok! Although it was Rhys who lost his head in the Tower of London, their two young sons were dispatched into exile on the Scottish borders. The one son would later die in a Scottish Battle but the other returned to Wales to reclaim his inheritence. Following on this, searching Wales for ''Plots and Plotters'' is really problematic, as following the '1536 Acts of Annexation' we become a pretty safe bunch of ''Proddies'' and later really irkesome ''Hannorvarian WASPS''. However, dig enough in the dark shadowy corners and one does find some really interesting ''Plots and Plotters'', and I have managed to find a pretty good selection, one plot per century from Rhys and calculating Catherine to Cayo Evans, FWA Commandant who with his FWA and the ''mischevious malcontent'' militants of the Patriotic Front, plotters all plotting in a ''Cracker of a Conspiracy'' seeking to thwart the Investiture of an Englishman as Prince of Wales. The problem now, is that I have run out of steam so to speak, am getting on in years and have recently been diagonosed with Diabetes, so am not exactly running at 100% anymore. On top of which, I am pretty busy keeping all my blogs going, plus this ''damn'' Alternative Nationalist History Archive around my neck, on top of which I am pretty fed up of research, I just want to write fiction and fantasy into my ''Grey Beard Years''. Thus, methinks! regards 'Plots and Plotters' will become an ''on going'' project which I will share with readers of 'THE WELSH PATRIOT', in form of the occaisional articles and miscellaneous features. Further, you may find that I shall be scattering associated material between all six of my blogs, to make life interesting and keep you all on your toes, devoted to regularly looking into these blogs, on case you might miss new material connected to something you really have an interest in. Generally, for the most part this project area really goes a lot into the subject of ''Welsh Jacobitism'' & ''Welsh Jacobinism''. Already, I have began digging into David Morgan, executed on the Surrey Gallows in 1746, you will find material on he already posted to http://adfywiad.blogspot.com This week, I hope to post and item in David Morgan and ''Welsh Jacobite'' connection to my blog http://assyrianrod.blogspot.com , you will see why, I have placed it there, when you get there. His famous last words were, on morning of his execution, ''Make the coffee good and strong'' alternativelly, I have seen this as ''By the way the coffee was cold''. Then there was the Plotter, who went to his execution because a virgin chose the short straw, who was he? and what was his ''Welsh Insolence?'' Another 'Welsh Plotter' went to his death very bravely, saying of the gallows: ''Sure, this is the best pulpit a man could have to preach in''. Can you name the plotter? and which plot he was accused of being involved in? 1715 to 1745 is full of ''Welsh Jacobite'' plotting, in period 1797 - 1831 plenty of ''Welsh Jacobins'' up to plotting, Who was behind the Scotch Cattle? and later the Rebeccites? Chartists Plotters in 1839, that's an easy one. But who was Merthyr's 'Son of Liberty' in 1848? Don't think we will ever know? However, of all these and other plots and plotters, there's one who stand head and shoulders above them all, most definatly the 'Osama Bin Laden' of his day. If I got to continue with any deep research, it will be on he and his constant plotting to bring down the English Crown. Who is he? Now, one I am stuck on, I took note of a name whilst researching 'Plots and Plotters', some one called Owen Keefe 1715, I think it was in a Pembrokeshire connection. Does anyone know anything about he, and why I should have made note of that name and date? I cannot find anything on the web even. let me know if you have any info please. Meanwhile, enjoy youself over at 'Assyrian Rod'.
Hwyl.
Gethin.