03 November 2009

LAND and LIBERTY Campaign Against Colonial Expropriation of Welsh Territory; Past, Present and Future. NO TO CHEQUE BOOK CONQUEST TODAY.

.

RED PITCHFORK symbol of the campaign.
.

.
This symbol I read having been used in Brittany in rural protests in our own times, so I have adopted for use as a badge for my proposed LAND & LIBERTY campaign. Re picture above I used a spray can to create effect of having been so used on a wall, but my purpose was to see how it might appear if sprayed on cloth for a flag. This I have done on green cloth and when I have taken fotos, I will post up on this blog for you to see the results.
.
However campaigns are not won by flags alone and, so let us begin with some history. We could begin with some knowledge of pre conquest native society and begin with a look into the Laws of Hywel Dda, later laws of the Welsh Princes and most importantly look into the 1284 Statutes of Rhuddlan - the charter of conquest 1282. But I hope you will know where to look up much of this yourself and, so more important I guide you into areas of history you are not so familiar with as The Forest of Snowdon Controversy 1569 - 98 and also in the 16th century the peasants Resistance to land enclosures in the cwmwd of Caio in Western Wales. For later history there is no better book than BEFORE REBECCA by David Jones, a must read, especially the early chapters on rural revolt. There will be other books and journal articles I shall post up information on but suffice for now to leave you with the words of the poet Sion Brwynog who in 1597 wrote in reference to the Forest of Snowdon Controversy:
.
Being oppressive and detestable;
scorning God and his commanments;
harrassing the weak for his land and welfare,
and behaving with abundant arrogance.

.
More to follow in due course.

.

Gethin Gruffydd.